Jake Sheridan Wins the iceMaker Enduro 150



Delaware Speedway’s 2017 season came to a close on October 14th with the first running of the iceMaker Enduro 150. Cars of all sorts including Delaware Speedway Fire & Iron Custom Metalwork Bone Stocks, South Buxton Mini Mods, Flamboro Speedway Pure Stocks, and Ohsweken Speedway Bombers came together for a day of excitement.

Group qualifying would setup the event as drivers went onto the track in groups to put down their fastest times. Qualifying would determine how the drivers started the race and in what group they would be assigned and released into the race after it started. Jordan Morris (#73) clocked in fastest with a 23.836 second lap ahead of Bill Brekelmans (#7) and Jeremiah Rabideau (#4).

The unique format saw the last five qualifiers start the race on the track as the remainder of the field sat on pit road in anticipation of getting released into the event. The fastest qualifiers were to be released into the event 12 laps down, while others were to be released into the event at 10, 8, 6, 4, and 2 lap down intervals. The unique format would offer a challenge to the entire field of drivers while also offering everybody a fair shot. Vic O’Leary led the first group to the green flag before Randy McKinlay (#14x) took over the top spot on lap two. The caution flag came out on lap 8 when Rob Hoskins (#37) spun in turn one. By the time all the cars were on the track, the entire facility was under heavy rainfall as McKinlay continued to show the way.

By lap 23, Randy McKinlay had moved onto a lap of his own, putting the others that started on his lap down one. The red flag was displayed on lap 24 for a slight altercation in turn one, but both drivers were able to continue to race. The red flag was displayed on lap 30 when David Rockwood (#90) spun in turn two, he was then black flagged for intentionally bringing out the caution. On lap 34 there was disaster for Randy McKinlay as he got up into the turn three wall and the tire came off his car, spoiling his good start to the event and chances of taking the lap 40 leader bonus. Brent Colby would win the lap 40 leader award, scoring $150 for his efforts. Just after scoring that bonus, Colby stopped on track and the red flag was displayed once again.

The red flag was displayed on lap 53 for Greg Haskell (#15b) getting into the turn one outside wall hard. Ben Davey (#07) followed him into the wall as Randy McKinlay made contact with the stopped Haskell car. Don Yorke (#31p) moved into second late in the first segment and quickly worked to erase the gap with the lap 80 bonus on the line. Yorke would take the lead with 10 to go in the segment and stay there until the halftime break and score the money bonus.

The race resumed on lap 80 with a three wide standing still start as drivers searched for grip on the wet track. One lap after the start there was trouble on the front straightaway as Chris Cambridge (#89) spun and was hit hard by Vic O’Leary, resulting in the red flag coming out. The red flag was displayed once again on lap 92 as Bill Brekelmans went into the outside wall in turn  one, this while battling with race leader Don Yorke to try and earn a lap back. The race continued until lap 97 when the curse of the race leader continued with Don Yorke getting collected in a wreck and going hard into the turn three wall with Bon Stratford (#82). Shane Gibson inherited the lead after the altercation as he ran almost two laps ahead of the next closest competitor.

Jake Sheridan, one of the drivers that started the race 12 laps down, moved into the top five on lap 108 as he was moving around the high side of the track at a rapid pace. The red flag came out on lap 117 as Bob Stratford went around on the front straightaway, but the race resumed very quickly. Michael Neumeister took over the race lead on lap 118 as Jake Sheridan looked on from a straightaway behind, back on the lead lap. Sheridan took over the top position on lap 121, just before the red was shown once again for a crash in turn one with Jesse Rudd (#34). The red flag came out on lap 144 for a stalled car in turn three as all eyes turned to the battle for second, a difference of $600 in payout money between Michael Neumeister and Matt Langford (#03). Langford would get the better of the battle, however it was all Jake Sheridan up front as he went on to win the iceMaker Enduro 150 coming from starting the race 12 laps down. Neumeister, Radder, and Gibson would round out the top five spots.

Delaware Speedway would like to thank all of its drivers, fans, staff, and partners for a successful 2017 season. Stay tuned to all of Delaware Speedway’s media outlets including www.delawarespeedway.com during the offseason for updates and announcements as we gear up for 2018.

By Ryan Dyson – Delaware Speedway PR – www.DelawareSpeedway.com